10.30.2008

Stove-Top Popcorn



Now that fall is here, it seems like all I've wanted to do is bunker down and watch a movie with a bowl of popcorn. I hope this doesn't make me a popcorn snob, but my popcorn is not made in the microwave but in a pot on the stove, which is how my Dad taught me to make it.

It is actually pretty easy to make, and only contains three ingredients: popcorn, salt and vegetable oil. The simplicity of the ingredients makes me happy, because I could go without all of the artificial ingredients in microwave popcorn.

To make popcorn on the stove, grab a saucepan, and make sure that you've got a lid (no lid has bad news written all over it.) Add enough vegetable oil to lightly coat the bottom o
f the pan (about a tablespoon) and then add the popcorn so that it covers the bottom of the pan, using only about 1/3 cup of popcorn. Put the lid on the pan, and if you're using a clear lid you can be a dork like me and watch the popcorn pop.

Next is the most important part of the whole process: Making sure that your popcorn does not burn. Much like popping popcorn in the microwave, you know it is done when you hear the popping sound dramatically decrease. As soon as you hear it pop once every two or three seconds, your popcorn is done. Quickly turn off the heat and pour the popcorn into your favorite popcorn bowl.

The possibilities are pretty much endless with what you can do with your popcorn. I like a little salt every time, and some melted butter every once in awhile. My husband likes his lightly salted with some Tabasco sauce, and my Dad likes to sprinkle his with Molly McButter.

0 comments: