10.08.2008

Vegan cake recipe

So, I'm pretty sure that no one is going to believe me about this until they try it, but there is a way to make a cake, or cupcakes, with a box of cake mix and a 12 oz. can of soda. The cake uses no eggs, and is mostly vegan (nonfat milk is listed last on the box, so there is a very small amount of milk in the mix).



About four years ago, a vegan friend of mine taught me how to make a birthday cake out of those two simple ingredients, I tried it, and the cake rose and was delicious. There are many combinations that can be tried, too, depending on the soda and flavor of the cake. Last night, I made one using orange soda and chocolate cake mix, and it tasted a lot like a chocolate orange.

To make it, pour the mix and the soda into a large bowl and whisk until the cake mix is saturated. Pour it into whatever pan you like, and bake according to the directions on the box. It is that easy. I baked it for 35 minutes, but you can bake it to your preferred moistness.

Frosting is optional.

0 comments: